Physiotherapy is a science based healthcare profession which considers human movement to be central to health and well being. It aims to maximize movement potential by using a problem solving approach which demands hard work, but is very satisfying.
Physiotherapists evaluate the functional capabilities & potentials of clients, some with correctable problems & some with permanent changes. They strive to help the clients to maximize their potentials, thereby preventing the recurrence / deterioration of the problem by using therapeutic exercises, mobilization techniques, various physical modalities like Heat, Cold, ultrasound, UVR, IRR & electricity based on scientific evaluation.
Physiotherapy as a Profession plays an important role in various other branches of medical profession like Orthopaedics, Sports, Neurology, cardiothoracic, obstetric & Gynaecology, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Community Based Rehabilitation and ergonomic evaluation & advice, etc.
J.S.S. Mahavidyapeetha, Mysore was established in the year 1954 by His holiness Jagadguru Dr. Sri Shivarathri Rajendra Mahaswamiji, the pontiff of Jagadguru Sri Veerasimhasana Math, Suttur. It has established & is nurturing over 300 institutions comprising of schools, colleges & Professional courses in Ayurveda, Dental, Engineering, Medical, Naturopathy, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy & Speech and hearing.
The JSS college of Physiotherapy was established in the year 1999 by the blessings of the present pontiff, His Holiness Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Deshikendra Mahaswamiji with an intension of creating competent Physiotherapists with contemporary knowledge & innovative skills who can promote rehabilitation, health & fitness.
Physical therapists are qualified and professionally required to:
- undertake a comprehensive examination/assessment of the patient/client or needs of a client group
- evaluate the findings from the examination/assessment to make clinical judgments regarding patients/clients
- formulate a diagnosis, prognosis and plan
- provide consultation within their expertise and determine when patients/clients need to· be referred to another healthcare professional
- implement a physical therapist intervention/treatment programme
- determine the outcomes of any interventions/treatments
- make recommendations for self-management